|Success Attraction suc∑cess: (n.) The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted|
|Secret To Getting Anything?|
Top 10 Tools for a Strong Personal Foundation
Coaching is about living great lives. It's about living lives based on our values, our priorities and our choices. And, as in building a great building, it takes a very strong foundation. In fact, the more spectacular the visible parts of the building are going to be, the more time and precision has to go into preparing the supporting structures and systems underneath. But one of the most difficult things in life is spending the necessary time on the foundations.
Most of us are eager to build, to start living the life of our dreams, and the temptation is always to neglect the details of a strong personal foundation. Here are my Top 10 Tools for creating the foundation that will support whatever else you want in your life:
1. Get plenty of sleep. I know, that wasn't on the list when I was younger either, but as Vince Lombardi noted, "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." Tired people are cranky, they miss opportunities and make careless decisions. And, getting plenty of sleep suggests a fairly regular pattern to your day, some structure and orderliness, and that's a good thing!
2. Eat well. Yeah, I know, another boring one. But the body needs good stuff to keep it sharp and ready to serve you. Some people go a long way on this, carefully nurturing their bodies with organic fruits and vegetables. I don't have that discipline, but replacing potato chips with carrot sticks, sure does seem to help. Cut down on fat, drink more water and fruit juice, and see what happens!
3. Exercise. Even a walk around the block does wonders to clear the head! At least 30 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week, and more if you enjoy it. Work up a sweat, huff and puff a bit. They say you'll live longer. I know it gets me out of the office, away from the phone and computer for a few minutes, and my dog loves the chance to run! Enjoy it.
4. Read a lot. Read magazines and history, read biographies and cheap novels, but read. Follow politics and the economy, keep up with current films and take a moment to follow sports and those funny short stories in Reader's Digest. It gives you perspective, broadens your point of view, and, like exercise, it gets you away from the phone and computer for a few minutes. It may even make you wiser!
5. Meditate. Keep a journal, or pray. Develop your own style and preferences for making peace with your world, and do it every day. Find the time and place that works best for you, sit quietly, settle into your routine, and take time to notice. Stuff will come up. You'll have ideas, you'll fall asleep, you'll remember what's really important. Whatever happens, be at peace with it.
6. Eliminate tolerations. Keep your nest clean! There's no excuse to be tripping over the same clutter every day. It slows you down, and it wears you out. Some people are "neater" than others, and this isn't about having a clean desk, unless that's important to you. This is about eliminating those annoying frustrations that come up every week. Get a housekeeper, a bookkeeper, a gardener, and at least have your car washed! If it annoys you, deal with it.
7. Keep relationships clean. It's not possible to be best friends with everyone, and some relationships do end, but that's not as expensive as having a strained relationship that drains you every day. If you have "friendships" that need to end, take care of it. If you have an intimate partner with whom you need to spend more time, schedule it tonight. Stay on good terms with those you can, and end those relationships that are never going to support you. Just do it.
8. Do work you love. Doing a job you dislike is exhausting. I often talk with folks who are eager to change careers "as soon as?." They usually finish the sentence with something that will happen in a few years. Why wait? Life is too short! I suspect the time lost is a greater risk than making the change right now! Do what you love!
9. Laugh a lot! Humor and warm friendships, love and laughter go further to maintain "balance" than all the programs I've ever tried. Life is either a wonderful, strange and funny dance?or it's too scary to think about. Either way, laugh all the way through!
10. Develop your "Daily 10". Have a regular pattern of 10 wonderful things you do every day for your own vibrant personal foundation. Find your own little rituals that just make you feel good! Every day, do 10 simple things that remind you how special, powerful, alive and wonderful you are! Delight in them!
Here's to you, and to building a strong, deep and lasting foundation that will support you for many years to come!
© Copyright 2003 by Philip E. Humbert. All Rights Reserved. This article may be copied and used in your own newsletter or on your website as long as you include the following information: "Written by Dr. Philip E. Humbert, writer, speaker and success coach. Dr. Humbert has over 300 free articles, tools and resources for your success, including a great newsletter! It's all on his website at: http://www.philiphumbert.com
The Best Test
I spoke to a group of salespeople in Kansas City last week as they kicked off their new team. It was exciting to see them get excited about making a difference through their work.
How To Become Successful
The First step to success is to think and decide what you really desire. All successful people have this skill in abundance. It starts with Imagination. Most successful people have a strong ability to imagine things which they have n't achieved but will. So anything you want to achieve in the external world it should first start in the inner world of your mind. Many people are scared to write down what they want because they think they have to commit themselves. To many, Success frightens them. So if you want to be successful in life you have to write down your goals and dreams. Ask yourself what things you want in life. (e.g) health, wealth and happiness. Write each goals on a sheet of paper. Next you need to ask yourself what is a reasonable time to achieve those goals. Goals should be Short term, Intermediate and long term. Next ask yourself what you have to do to achieve those goals. What new skills you have to learn or acquire, what character traits to develop and people you have to role model.
Discover Your Path to Success - Part 3
If you have read this far, we both know you are serious about succeeding, getting the most out of life, and attaining your goals.
Action Speaks Louder Than Words
I have written much about how, in order to have more of what we desire in life, we must first do more and, that, in order to do more, we must first become more. In fact, the focus of the majority of my articles and books is about how to become more. I reiterate, time and time again, how important it is to acquire the specific knowledge of success if you want to have success.
Achieve the Success You Want: 7 Reasons Why People Dont
Change is one of the biggest concepts facing today's society. We are all confronted by how fast the world is changing and how we must change to keep up. We should view change as exciting!
The Ultimate Formula for Success
Why is true success so rare?
Personal Power: Implementing Change from the Inside Out
Personal power is an INSIDE JOB. It doesn't mean getting other people to do what you want them to; it means getting yourself moving toward your goals. What creates the power is a series of attitudinal realities which you create for yourself and by yourself. Therefore, the key resource in managing change is YOU.
Making the Right Decisions
The ability to make good decisions is an essential step in becoming a good leader. Don't try to make decisions unless you know all the facts and risks involved. The safest way to weigh your decisions is to put them through a checklist that covers pertinent information.
Success Through Expertise - Bring In The Experts Or Become An Expert Yourself
This morning, on TV, I was amazed to see how a house could be transformed by experts. They were allowed to use only £500 (or $1100 dollars) and they had to complete the work in two days.
The 5 Categories You Want To Succeed In
If it comes to the question what we really want in our life the answer is always "Pleasure". Whatever happens to you, your brain asks 2 questions. Does that mean pain or pleasure, and if it means pain, how can I avoid it.
Learning From Failure--What To Do When You Blow It!
Becoming successful is not easy. We all get tossed around somewhat in our attempts to win or succeed. Learning opportunities are usually created by the "I-Blew-Its".
Sticktoitivity: Lessons Learned!
Walt Disney coined a special phrase for persistence and determination; he referred to it as sticktoitivity. I reflected upon this recently, because I stumbled across 20 old business cards from previous business ventures and jobs I had been associated with over the last twenty-five years. Those old business cards certainly brought back a museum full of memories and mixed feelings. I had forgotten about some of those jobs that shaped my outlook as I pushed onward and upward. As I look back on all of those opportunities with the benefit of perspective and age, the one benefit I have derived is my own personal understanding of the concept of success and failure.
Think Yourself To Success
-- The One Pager Shortcut Series --
The Definition of WIN!
When you look into the eyes of a winner, what do you see? Perhaps you notice a fire of passion, determination, resilience, and a sense of self confidence that screams, "I can do it! Nothing can stop me from winning!"
Affirm Your Intentions - Achieve Your Goals
Affirmations are emotionally driven statements of intention and faith that guide thought and action. Affirmation comes from the Latin firmus, meaning strong. Affirmations recognize and assert the existence of personal truths. These statements can be powerfully effective for developing and strengthening thought patterns, and thus actions, needed to achieve goals. These thought patterns also attract the situations we affirm to be true.
19 Good Questions For Living The Good Life (Just The Right Question To Get Just What You Desire)
It happened again in class. While sharing my insights on a particular subject, I spontaneously began by saying:
Why Aren?t You Seriously Wealthy Already?
I bet you want to be wealthy, but somehow the money eludes you.
The Dynamics of Competitive Mentality
Life is not a competition.
Reach Your Goals - Use Your Holidays
Use birthdays and other gift-giving holidays to help reach your goals
Obstacles to Success. Why Dont I Believe In Myself and What Can I Do About It?
Why do so many of us lack belief in ourselves? How can we solve this problem and start discovering the huge power that belief in ourselves brings?
|home | site map|