|Success Attraction suc·cess: (n.) The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted|
|Secret To Getting Anything?|
Change Your Results by Changing Your Expectations
Our expectations get us into a lot of trouble and often cause a lot of stress. We expect our customers to always come back; we expect our boss to behave in a certain way; we expect the company we work for to take care of us; and we expect coworkers to be team players.
And when our expectations aren't met, life is not good. Bad feelings, conflict, and unrest, are common symptoms. And, our business and our customers suffer.
Could it be that many of our expectations are misguided? Some well-founded expectations are obvious. If you order coffee in a restaurant, you expect it to be hot ? in Mc Donalds, you'd expect it to be very hot indeed!
But if you were to refuse to go to a certain restaurant because the waiter who served you had a ring in his ear, you're in for a life of perpetual home dining, whether that might be good or bad. What are the causes of misguided expectations? Consider the following examples.
1. When customers don't complain, is everything at its best? Certainly not! Studies tell us that only about 4% of customers who have a problem ever complain. In my seminars when I ask why, the two biggest reasons I get are that customers feel uncomfortable complaining, and they (the business) probably won't do anything about it, so why bother?
Then we wonder why our repeat business is declining - as our dissatisfied customers tell their friends ? not us - and then go somewhere else.
2. Did your company ever hire an hourly person for your department, and you instinctively considered this new employee to be a loser ? and treated him accordingly ? and proved yourself right?
Many managers say "Some people just don't want to work." I heard Russ Meyer of Cessna once say in an interview that most people go to work to do a good job. I believe that's true, but I also believe that it has a lot to do with good leadership. Some employees, who have experienced little if any guidance at home or at school, are crying out for some solid leadership, for someone to respect them, and to help them be what they know they can be.
Each of us can think of someone whom we've turned around from an apparent failure to a critical success and a vital contributor to the organization. How did you do it? Do it again! Do it by having higher expectations of your employees. (But don't waste your time if there's no effort on their part. Don't keep real losers around.)
3. What about our expectations of ourselves. Are you holding back on utilizing hidden talents just because you think there's no call for them, or that you might fail? We are told that 75% of what we say to ourselves is negative, and that by coincidence, 75% of illnesses are psychosomatic. Sometimes we compare our limited success to the great achievements of someone famous, and immediately we see ourselves as failures, asking,'why couldn't I do that?', and then giving up on our own potential, and making excuses for failure ? rather than competing with our own potential. I have a cartoon where a man throws his golf clubs in the trash, saying, "After watching Tiger Woods play, I thought, why bother?"
How can we change outdated and misguided expectations? Here are some of the ways:
1. Get a different perspective on your business, your customers, and your problems. Understand that we don't all think alike, and that what might be no big deal to you could be of great importance to your customers, or to your employees. Ask your customers for feedback to make sure you're not taking them for granted. Do the same for your employees.
2. Get out of your own way. Try something today that you've been putting off because of fear, or concern of what others might think. Talk yourself up. It's normal for most people to be negative. It requires practice to be consistently positive. Avoid negative people. Associate with upbeat, positive souls. They're the ones who make things happen, who embrace challenges, and who love to share their enthusiasm.
3. Don't assume anything. Don't assume that your goals and the company goals are the same; but figure out how to make them compatible, or get out. Don't assume that your customers will be loyal, if your service is only mediocre. Don't assume that your employees will be faithful if you don't train them, trust them, and grow them.
4. Take a risk. Wave or say hello to someone you never greet just because they never acknowledge you. You'll be surprised how some people are just waiting to connect and maybe to do business with you. Get out of your office and do a walk-about among your employees. It's amazing what you will learn, and how their respect for you will grow. If you think you don't have time, consider that what's taking up a lot of your time may be caused by not being in touch with your people.
5. Expect to succeed. There's another change in expectation. Our tendency to fear failure creates an expectation of failure. As the philosopher said, "You are what you think about most of the time" So think success, talk success, and pass it on to your people. Show them how it works!
John Madden is an international speaker, trainer, and author of "Leap, Don't Sleep" (How to get different results by doing something different). He helps businesses and individuals become more successful through customer service training, changing present results, networking for profit, coaching skills for managers, stress management through humor, time management, and interpersonal skills. You can reach him at 316-689-6932; email at john@LeapDontSleep.com; web site: http://www.LeapDontSleep.com
Success Through Clear Dreams - I Do Not Want To Lie On My Death Bed Saying I Wish I Had Done That
Many UK citizens want to settle or retire in Spain the land of sun, healthy food, villas and blue swimming pools. Only a few of these actually achieve their dream. What makes the difference?
Keys To Prosperity
Is it possible to get rich quick using the power of your mind? Sometimes, I think the only people getting rich are the authors of bestsellers with titles such as "Simply Abundant, Creating Prosperity and Miracle Power For Infinite Riches". However, we keep buying these books, because most of us have also experienced first-hand the consequences of a law of nature: do a good deed and it comes back to you. Do something mean and it comes right back at you to slap you in the face. Many of our minor wishes seem to come true -- "I'd like to have soup for dinner", or " Please let that cheque arrive in time to cover the rent." So why is it that when we try to mentally will more money into our lives, the kind of abundance that would have us set for life, that our mental powers seem to fail?
For Meeting Planners: Organizing Your Office for Less Stress and More Profit
If you discovered your speaking career depended on how organized your office was, your reaction could range from complete composure to sheer terror. Even the most successful professional speakers sometimes utter, "Some day I'm really going to get organized," but purging files, organizing computer files, tackling piles of unread journals, or learning a new software program (even one that will help you get organized!), usually gets pushed to the bottom of your list of priorities while you handle today's crisis.
Personal Traits You Need To Succeed
Hello again! I have some more useful tips you can use for your own especially if you are an Online Business owner just starting an Internet Business from home.
Success: How to Ask the Right Questions
Q. My problem is that I have trouble keeping my motivation and energy up day to day. I get so scattered and wind up forgetting where I want to go. Do you have any suggestions for making this work on a daily basis?
Grow Rich With Your Thought
Our brain is a marvelous creation. It receive and transmit information like a wireless phone. Our thought are made of wave. We call that brain wave. It is around 10 to 40 cycle per second when we are awake.
Opening Your Unlimited Potential
It is high time you know the truth about yourselves. You can be whatever you desire, you can do whatever you think or imagine. You have the magic key in your pocket, which opens the door to all your highest dreams and wishes, the key which opens the gates of prosperity and abundance beyond your imagination.
Staying Cool When the Job Heats Up
Jobs are heating up. We're all feeling the pinch of hiring freezes and information overload. Workplace stress is increasing right along with the workload.
Change Your Thinking -- Change Your Life!
The only thing in life we have direct control over is our thoughts and our thoughts determine how we experience life.
The Other F Word - How Failure Can Be The Key To Your Success
Thomas Edison has done it. Naomi Watts often jokes about it. Sylvester Stallone mastered it. Billy Joel did it with his piano. Even Abraham Lincoln earned a name for himself for doing it many times over. In fact most of us experience it fairly frequently. Some more than others. It's known as the other 'f' word. The difference, however, between the mega-successful and the rest of us ordinary folk is a simple matter of interpretation. I'm talking about 'failure'. Wait! Stop! It's not that bad I promise!
The Amazing Success Secret Anyone Can Start Using Today
However there is one success secret that costs nothing. And we can all use it today to get ahead more quickly. I am talking about cultivating exceptional people skills in a way that puts you ahead of the crowd, in a way that respects and honors the people you deal with in your life.
Are You Afraid of Success?
You may not realise it yet but you may have been "programmed" to fail!
Is Your Life A Minefield ?
Why everything has to be so hard? What have I done to deserve such torment and pain? I seems like everything and everyone around me have conspired against me.
Five Ways To Take A Vacation Without Taking A Vacation
Last month Along The Purpose Path was about how to identify and stop the energy drains that leave you feeling exhausted and out of balance. I outlined how energy is one of your most valuable resources and invited you to start thinking about how to reserve more energy for yourself.
Gracefully Accepting Feedback a Key Employment Skill
With the long-term trend of protecting employees' individual self esteem added to an overriding concern over expensive employee lawsuits, accountability is more a buzzword than a way of life at most companies.
Reach Your Goals - Give Back
Three Proven Ways To Leverage the Big Power of Small Changes
Successful people set ambitious goals. But the high standards and lofty visions necessary for great success can sometimes be daunting. You may want to run a marathon, lose 50 pounds, or build a business empire, but you may quickly find yourself overwhelmed if you mentally focus on such ambitious goals.
How to Make Your Wildest Dreams a Reality
According to Bill Gates there are 3 keys to success in any new venture:
The Disciplines of Success
Success, in the dictionary, is defined as, "The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted." So why is success in our society defined by the balance in your bank account, the car you drive, or how big your house is? You are successful if you are a lawyer, doctor, or movie actor with a six figure income. You should be able to be called a "success" when you have been able to do anything and everything you have wanted to do in your life. Shouldn't success be defined as being able to do what your passion is in life? Shouldn't you be successful when you have achieved complete happiness? Besides money, wealth should include your spiritual, physical and mental well-being.
Success In An Ever Changing World?
Well, it's that time of the year again. No, I don't mean the time of the year when the flowers bloom and the days get longer. What I am referring to is the sound of roaring engines and the waving of green and checkered flags. That's right, it's racing season!
|home | site map|